Oyster was built in Auckland in 1902 by a young boat builder, Charles Bailey Jr. Commissioned by John Glasgow, Oyster is based on the design of a first-class winning boat of 1899. Oyster is 31.5ft long (9.9m) and is built partially out of Kauki and Pohutukawa, a New Zealand native tree which grows along the coast.
Oyster was launched complete in Nelson on New Year’s Day in 1903 after traveling from Auckland on board the coaster SS Rawara, a Northern Steam Ship Company vessel. The final cost of construction including the sails and delivery to Nelson was £275.
In her early years she changed hands many times, was renamed the Ariki and fitted with diesel engine. In 1977 she was bought by Dick Young who , after two years of work, finally restored her to her original rigging, undoing the alterations which had taken place in Oyster’s long history. The old engine was once again replaced by a Solé 10hp diesel and she was once again sold to Dick’s son, Rob who meticulously maintained her both for his own pleasure and for the use of the Nelson Sea Cadets.
In September 1998, she caught the eye of Mike Rossouw who the following year bought her and with the help of two friends, sailed her down the coast to Lyttelton. After receiving her Survey Certificate from the Maritime Safety Authority, Oyster was ready for her new role as a charter yacht in January 2000.
Able to carry 6 passengers and skipper